EDWARD BENNETT, son of John and Margery, was married early in 1687 to Margery Willis, and settled in Thornbury. She left three children, _John, b. March 10, 1688-9; Jacob, b. May 10, 1691; and Hesther (Esther), b. September, 1694 (m. To Moses Waite). Edward married, in 1697, Sarah Clues, widow, daughter of Francis Stanfield, by whom he had Edward, b. May 22, 1699; Sarah, b. April 1, 1701; (m. Thomas Yeatan), Joseph, b. September 29, 1704; William, b. December 23, 1705; and Elizabeth.
Joseph Bennett married 3, 20, 1724, Rebecca Fincher, born 9, 6, 1708, in Uwchlan, daughter of John and Martha Fincher. They removed to York County, where they both died in 1757, leaving several children, of whom a daughter, Hannah, married William Kersey, and was the mother of Jesse Kersey.
Edward Bennett, in his will, 1, 25, 1714, gave to his son John "a great bible that did belong to my father, John Bennet." This Bible passed from this legatee to his son Edward, whose daughter Amy became the wife of Henry Jefferis. Richard Worth married the daughter of Bennett Jefferis, son of Henry, and the Bible is now in possession of his daughter.
JAMES BENNETT, of Middletown and Aston, born abut 1709, died May 26, 1760, and was buried at St. John's Episcopal Church in Concord. His first wife was Elizabeth Albin, sister of James, of West Marlborough. She died May 23, 1748, and he married (second) Mary Hill, widow of William, and daughter of John Hunter, of Newtown. His daughter Mary married Isaac Yarnall, of Edgmont, and from this source have come the christian names of Bennett and Albin in the Yarnall and Smedley families.
BENNER, PHILIP, son of Henry, was born on the northern or German side of Chester County in the year 1762, and was one of the most efficient business men the county has produced. His father was an active Whig of the Revolution, was captured by the enemy, and personally learned the interior economy of a British prison. Philip, then a youth, took up arms under General Wayne, his relative and neighbor. When he went forth to the field his patriotic mother quilted in the back of his vest several guineas, as a provision in case he should be taken prisoner. After the war he became a successful manufacturer of iron at Coventry Forge, in Chester County. He afterwards removed to Centre County, where he was one of the early settlers, and became distinguished for the manufacture of Juniata iron. He held the rank of major-general in the militia of Pennsylvania, and was twice an elector of President of the United States. The borough of Bellefonte bears testimony to his enterprise and liberality. He was remarkable for his industry, enterprise, generosity, and open-hearted hospitality; his home was the abode of a happy family. He died July 27, 1832, aged seventy years.
BEVERLY, SAMUEL, from the north of Ireland, brought a certificate from Friends of Ballynacree and presented it to New Garden Monthly Meeting, 12, 9, 1722-3. He was accompanied by his wife Jane and children William and Mary. They settled in east Marlborough, north of Kennet Square. William Beverly married Mary Miller in 1730, and dying before his father, left a son, Samuel, who in 1753 married Ruth Jackson, daughter of Samuel Jackson, of East Marlborough. Mary Beverly, daughter of this last marriage, became the wife of William Gause and the mother of Jonathan Gause.
BISHOP, JOAQUIM, of Sugartown, Willistown
Township, is a refiner and melter of platinum, and manufacturer of
crucibles, evaporating dishes, ignition tubes, etc. He was born in
Portugal in 1806, where his father, an Englishman, was temporarily living,
and was director of the Royal Fabrics. He left Portugal on account of the
French war, and came to Baltimore in 1810; the next year he removed to
Philadelphia. In 1826 he served an apprenticeship to the jewelry business,
and that failing he went to a brass-foundry and worked as a finisher. In
1832 he hired at the University of Pennsylvania as assistant to Dr. Robert
Hare, Professor of Chemistry, and worked as instrument-maker. In 1839 he
left there and commenced business as a philosophical instrument-maker in
Philadelphia. Being there urged by some of his friends to try the
platinum-work, he carried it on with his other business. In 1845 he drew
the first premium at the exhibition of the Franklin Institute for
platinum-work done in this country. In 1858, his health failing, he
removed his business to Radnor, Delaware County. His property being near Bryn
Mawr and becoming more valuable, he sold it, and in 1865 came to his
present place. Here he bought forty-three acres, remodeled the dwelling,
and built his manufactory. In 1876 he was the only exhibitor of platinum-
work in this country at the Centennial Exposition, for which he received a
medal and diplomas, since which time his business has largely increased.
His place of business is six miles from West Chester, and three from
Berwyn Station, on the Pennsylvania Railroad. He finds a market for his
work all over the United States, Canada, and often ships to Europe. He is
the only actual refiner of and dealer in platinum in America. His only
Education was acquired during his working hours from reading and studying
by himself. He married, July 5, 1832, Margaret Cruse, of Philadelphia, by
whom he had four children, Mary, married to John Zimmerling; Samuel C.,
Thomas, and James. Thomas died at Chattanooga, in the service of the
United States, during the Rebellion, and in the same war James was wounded
at Fredericksburg and died in Libby Prison. Mr. Bishop was the second time
married, July 1, 1847, to Susanna O'Neill, of this county, by whom he
had four daughters, - Angelica, married to Wilson M. Matlock; Sally H., to
George Entriken; Laura J., to John Entriken; and Clara F., to Baker Wier.
Mr. Bishop is extensively known throughout the Union and Canada,
especially by scientific people, with whom as with the leading colleges,
he is by his business largely brought into association.