DILWORTH, James, married, about 1681, Ann Waln, and came from Thornbury, in Yorkshire, in Yorkshire, to Bucks Co., Pa., where he died in 1699, leaving children,-William, Richard, Jane, Hannah, Jennet, Rebecca, and James. Of these, it is believed that William married Sarah, daughter of Richard Webb, and settled in Birmingham.
John Dilworth, son of William, married, 12,8,1749-50, Hannah Woodward, daughter of John, of Thornbury, and his sister Hannah married first John Martin, and second John Woodward. John and Hannah Dilworth had two sons,-Caleb and John; of whom the first married Elizabeth, daughter of Charles Ryant, in 1790.
James Dilworth, perhaps a son of William, married, in 1745, Lydia, daughter of George Martin, of West Bradford, by whom she had children,-Charles, Joseph, Sarah, Caleb, William, James, Mary, George, Lydia, Hannah, and Letitia. He died 8th mo. 1769, and his widow, 10,25,1814, at the age of 95. He is said to have built the first house, a log hut, where Dilworthstown now stands, and the tavern building in 1758, though there was no tavern kept there until after his death, when his son Charles obtained license. The latter was a prominent citizen and frequently concerned in public affairs. He was disowned by Friends for taking an active part in Revolutionary measures. Benjamin Hawley notes in his diary, 8,27,1770, that he "went to the Raising Charles Dilworth's sign." No doubt it was made the occasion of much drinking and hilarity.
Hannah Dilworth, daughter of James and Lydia, married 11,4,1775, John Parry, and her sister Letitia married Edward Brinton.
Dr. Richard B. DILWORTH was born in Philadelphia, Jan. 24, 1810. his parents were Thomas and Sarah Ann (Burch) Dilworth. He studied medicine under Dr. Kennedy, at Oxford, Chester co., a practitioner of considerable merit, and at the time a resident of that place, and graduated at the Jefferson Medical College, in Philadelphia, in March, 1835.
In June, 1835, he married Harriet, daughter of James Wilson, Esq., and located at Youngsburg, Chester Co., where he devoted himself to the practice of his profession until 1849, when he removed with his family to Juniata Co., Pa., where he, in company with others, had purchased a large tract of woodland. He died Nov. 15, 1851, of an affection of the heart. He left seven children.
As a man, Dr. Dilworth was free from selfishness, which, added to his
energy of mind and irreproachable character, rendered him beloved by all
who knew him. As a physician, he was successful and much beloved by his