KING, John.-Among the many emigrants to Pennsylvania between 1735 and 1740, from Germany, was Michael King (then written Koenig), a native of Wittenberg, who located in West Pikeland township, near Pikeland church.  He was born in 1714, and was the son of a baron in the Fatherland.  Upon  his eldest brother succeeding to the real estate, he took his part of the  patrimony in money and came to the New World, the others of his family
remaining in Germany.  He purchased 160 acres in Pikeland, 300 acres in  Charlestown, and a tract in Uwchlan.  His children were Lawrence, John, Philip, Conrad, Mary (m. John Moses), and Catharine (m. John George Snyder).  Of these, John married Maria Snyder, and had the following children:  John, Elizabeth (m. George Moses), Philip, and George.  He married, second, Elizabeth Wagoner, by whom he had two daughters,-Catharine, m. to Samuel Griffith, and Anna, m. to John Funderwhyte.  George married Catharine, daughter of Isaac Smith, by whom he had the following children:  Isaac, Samuel, Thomas, Abraham, John, Mary Ann, m. to John Fry, Sarah, died unmarried; and George.

In 1771, the Pikeland Lutheran Church was established.  Michael King, the emigrant, gave the land upon which it was erected, and otherwise contributed most liberally to its construction.  He was an active patriot in the Revolutionary war, and freely aided the colonists in their struggles for independence.  He died in 1790.  The King family were thrifty agriculturists, and John the elder was an active business man.  His grandson John, the son of George, was born in Charlestown township, April 9, 1822, and when four years old removed with his parents to Pikeland. Here in the subscription schools he was well educated, and prepared himself for a teacher, and taught for some time.  He married, Sept. 28, 1843, Rebecca, daughter of William and Mary (Brownback) Emrey, who came of an old and respected family.  Her father, William, was a substantial farmer of Pikeland, a good and public-spirited citizen, often called upon to fill positions of trust and honor.  They have had one child, William Albert, who was born July 22, 1844, and married Mary E. Hallman, by whom he has two children, John DeAngeli and Orville Tilden.  John King, some four years after his marriage, purchased the farm, in the southeast part of West Pikeland, on which he has since resided, and upon which, in 1877, he erected a new residence.  Mr. King has ever been an active Democrat, and in 1866 was the nominee of his party for the Legislature, receiving the largest vote of anyone on his ticket, and the almost unanimous vote of his  township.  He has also been honored with nominations for county treasurer and auditor, and called upon to fill nearly all the township offices.  He served one term in the school board, and has been four times elected justice of the peace.  He is much engaged in conveyancing and settling estates, but retired from active agricultural pursuits, his farm being carried on by his son.  He belongs with his family to the Pikeland Lutheran Church.  The King family is noted for its religious ancestry, men of culture and good business qualifications.  The original King homestead, where John's grandfather, John, was born, is still in the family name.

Squire King is highly esteemed in Chester County, and enjoys the confidence of the community.  In January 1881, he was elected a director of the Phoenixville National Bank.