The borough of Kennet Square was formed from the township of Kennet, and was incorporated in 1855. The village, which formed the nucleus of the borough, bore the name of Kennet Square, and has been so called from a period before the Revolutionary War. It is situated on the line of the Philadelphia and Baltimore Central RR, in the midst of an exceedingly fertile district of the country, at the head of the Toughkenamon Valley.

The inhabitants of Kennet Square, and of the township from which it was taken, are largely the descendants of the original settlers, and are noted for their intelligence and culture. The anti-slavery sentiment has always predominated strongly, and in the days of slavery it was esteemed a hot-bed of abolitionism. The inhabitants, however glorified in their sentiments, and many a wayfaring bondsman received aid and comfort from them on his passage towards the North Star. It would have been a dangerous experiment in those days for any of its inhabitants to have proclaimed their nativity south of Mason and Dixon's line. Its academies and seminaries have for years ranked high, and many youth from a distance are educated here. The old Unicorn tavern building - said to have been the scene of one of the outlaw Fitzpatrick's exploits - was accidentally burned about the year 1875. The end of Bayard Taylor's "Story of Kennet" is laid in this land and the adjoining township.

In 1769, William Dixson of New Garden conveyed to Joseph Musgrave, of Kennet, a lot of ground 'near a place called Kennet Square' which is the first mention of the name which has come under notice.

This page updated on February 28, 2009