Elk township was formed from East Nottingham in 1857, and received the
name of Elk at the suggestion of Charles Ramsey. It is bounded on
the east by the Big Elk Creek and Little Elk flows through it. Lewisville
is in this township and named in honor of Lewis J. Jones, who was the first to
build there. He was buried at Sharp's graveyard. His father, Nathan
Jones, lived near, in the edge of Maryland.