The Borough of Parkesbury was incorporated March 1, 1872. When the State constructed the RR from Philadelphia to Columbia, the work-shops, commonly called the State Shops, were located at Parkesbury, and continued there until the year of 1861, when their operations were removed by the Pennsylvania RR to Harrisburg,as a more central point. The buildings at Parkesbury formerly occupied by these shops are now *(1881) owned and operated as a rolling-mill by Horace A. Beale. Parkesbury received its name from the Parkes , an old and influential family in this section of the county. 3 generations of this family have been members of the Legislature of the state - Joseph Parkes, John G. Parke and Robert Parke, and the latter has also been an associate judge of the county.

This page updated on February 28, 2009