Pikeland - literally Pike's Land - was granted by William Penn to Joseph Pike, merchant, of Cork, Ireland, by patent dated Dec 3, 1705. It embraced the territory now included in East and West Pikeland, and contained 10,116 acres and allowances. Joseph Pike died in 1727 seized of this tract, and also of a tract of about 1400 acres in Caln Township, on the southern part of which is now Caln Friends' meeting-house, and by his will, proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Armagh, Ireland, devised all his lands in Pennsylvania to his wife Elizabeth in fee. Elizabeth Pike held the lands until her death in 1733, and devised them to her son, Richard Pike, in fee. Richard died in 1752, and by his will devised all his estates in Pennsylvania to his kinsmen, Samuel Hoare and Nathaniel Newberry, merchants, of London, England, subject to the payment of certain legacies. In 1756, Samuel Hoare purchased the interest of Nathaniel Newberry and became sole owner. On Dec 3, 1773, Amuel Hoare, by his attorney, Amos Strettle, sold and conveyed the lands '''known by the name of Pikeland'', to Andrew Allen and took from him a mortgage thereon for 16000 , part of the purchase money.

Andrew Allen sold and conveyed parcels of it to 115 persons, and received from them the purchase moneys. The mortgage given by Allen to Hoare was not being paid, it was sued out against Allen, and the 115 purchasers from him, as terretenants, and the entire township was sold as one tract by Ezekiel Leonard, sheriff of Chester County, and repurchased by Samuel Hoare, the holder of the mortgage, and conveyed to him by deed in 1789. The persons to whom Allen had made sales had failed or neglected to procure releases of the lands purchased by them from him of the mortgage, and consequently the sheriff's sale to Hoare divested their titles. They generally, however, compromised with Hoare, and by making additions payments of purchase moneys received deeds of confirmation from him. Some of them, however, were unable to effect any arrangement and lost their lands and whatever improvements they had made.

The following names are those given in the sheriff's return, and thus are many of the ancestors of the present inhabitants of the township.

This page updated on February 28, 2009